Saturday, February 19, 2011

Weekend of Music

There are some moments in your life, when you know even while they are happening that they have the potential to define the course of your life. Friday night, I had one of these potential defining moments. I saw my first live opera by the master, Wagner himself. It made waiting in line for my 3 euro standing room place that much more exciting. I kept thinking this is my first live Wagner. Ever! But here is the kicker, that wasn't really the defining moment, rather my defining moment came upon my that I didn't love it.

"Der fliegende Holländer" is a three act, no intermission Wagnerian opera, filled to the brim with leitmotives, romantic ideals and everything that I expected Wagner to be. I enjoyed the production, with as usual some personal qualms with the set, staging and lighting (Staatsoper always underlights in my opinion, I don't think they realize just how far away the Galarie seats are), but for the most part I was impressed and enjoyed it. The set was deep and had a catwalk of wooden planks down the center, that was lit from underneath with varying shades of red, orange, and normal white light depending on the plot.

And actually the thing I disliked most was the plot. Moreover the actual verse used to convey the plot. Maybe I just need to sit down with the libretto and work it all out myself. But I was keeping up with the original German (at least trying to) as well as the English translations and found there to be a focus on the poetic and not on the operatic. Especially in opera where Wagner wants there to be meaning beyond the surface, I expected a better libretto. Granted the music was just divine, I loved his stereotypical-for-a-reason treatment of the storm and billowing wind. And Adrianne Pieczonka as Senta was just incredible. What a way to hear a Wagnerian soprano live for the first time. I was most impressed with her piano, the actual size not small at all, but with that twinkling quality of piano voice that shimmers and just gives you the shivers.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience, I guess I was just expecting to love Wagner like I do Strauss, a natural progression in my mind. But alas, not so yet. But there are several more Wagner's on the program for the next few months, so let's see if anything changes my mind.

Continuing my weekend of musical firsts, Saturday afternoon Jess and I went to the Musikverein for my first live performance by the legit Vienna Philharmonic - not some section of the Vienna Phil or the opera orchestra of the Phil, but the real Vienna Phil. We arrived early, because we had standing room tickets and the system at the Musikverein is basically a free for all. You line up early, get in the building, wait again, head to the doors, wait some more, then they open up and you RUN to try and get front row. If you do, you are rewarded with a bar to lean on and you can actually sort of hear. You see, the Musikverein has some of the worst acoustics I've ever encountered. Again Hill spoiled me, but honestly, the standing room is underneath a large balcony, and there are pillars. It is horrendous. But we got our front row seats, and thus the best acoustics in Standing Room.

We were there to see Mahler 6. Performed by the Vienna Philharmonic. And we got front row. Could my life get any better? The answer is no. No it could not. The performance was beyond words. The third movement moved me closed to tears, it was so beautiful, and that final closing crunch that is the last chord just slammed my soul. Even the white-haired, cane-carrying, long-time patrons rose for a standing ovation by almost half of the audience. It made me happy to see my future, and to know that no matter how many times you've seen a piece, a well performed version of powerful music, affects you the same everytime. It doesn't end here, it can only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment